Jitsi Meet Desktop App Instructions
Join a Meeting With the Desktop App
1. Download the AppImage at the link here:
cd ~/Downloads in a terminal
3. Then in the same terminal, run
chmod +x jitsi-meet-x86_64.AppImage
4. Run it by typing
4a. let it integrate with your system (it won't modify anything deep in your Linux system, just adds a shortcut to the app)
5. Enter RHLUG-Virtual-Meeting in the "Enter a name for your conference" text box.
5a. Click the "GO" button. (Steps 5 and 5a are shown below:)
6. You should now see a window like this. Be sure to plug in a microphone to talk and webcam. Otherwise you can use the speech bubble to open and talk in the chat.
(The avatar that's generated is random. You can change it if you have a Gravatar account set up with an email, or just ignore it since we don't care. See Jitsi Meet Desktop App Instructions#Changing your Avatar for instructions.)
7. Have fun!
(Note: if you click outside of your window and more than 1 person is online, you may see their video feeds in small windows like this (if you minimize your windows except for Jitsi, it's easier to see them):)
1. Download the .exe file at the link here:
2. In your Windows File Explorer app, double-click on the .exe file to run it.
3. Follow steps 5-6 of Jitsi Meet Desktop App Instructions#Linux.
4. Have fun!
These apply to both the Windows and Linux versions of the desktop app.
Changing your Username
By default, your name will be your logged in user's username.
If you want to change it, follow these steps:
1. Move your mouse cursor around in the Jitsi Meet window.
2. Click the 3 dots on the right hand side.
3. Click the Settings button.
4. Click the Profile tab.
5. Then, type in a new name under "Set your display name".
5a. Click Ok at the bottom.
Changing your Avatar
You can change it if you have a Gravatar account set up with an email. You can even create a temporary email and upload whatever avatar you want to it.
1. Follow steps 1-4 of Jitsi Meet Desktop App Instructions#Changing your Username.
2. Then, type in your Gravatar email under "Set your Gravatar email".
2a. Click Ok at the bottom.